Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) increase
from £300 to £500 per socket.
On 9th July, the government launched its “Road to Zero Strategy” with a mission to “put the UK at the forefront of the design and manufacturing of zero emission vehicles, and for all new cars and vans to be effectively zero emission by 2040”.
One of the measures included in the Road to Zero is to increase the grant level of the Workplace Charging Scheme from £300 per socket to 75% of the purchase and installation costs of a chargepoint capped at a maximum of £500 per socket. The grant is available for to 20 charge points per applicant, across all sites , a total of up to £10,000 per business ( all amounts inclusive of VAT).
- Businesses, charities and local authorities which can declare a need for electric vehicle charging or an intent to encourage uptake of electric vehicles among their staff or company fleet.
- They must be located in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- The scheme is designed for off-street parking with chargers for the use of employees or staff fleet.
- It is not designed for commercial car parks, public parking or for retail outlets or hotels with guest parking.
- The charging sockets must be installed by an OLEV approved installer such as ElectrAssure.
For full guidance visit the government Workplace Charging Scheme web page
Claiming The WCS Grant
- WCS is a voucher based scheme operated by a scheme administrator (the DVLA). You can only claim one voucher.
- If eligibility checks are successful, you will be issued with a unique identification voucher code via email, which can then be given to your OLEV-authorised WCS installer.
- The voucher will only be valid for four months (120 days) from the date of issue though you can cancel and re-apply.
- Once the chargepoint(s) have been installed, the authorised installer will claim the grant from OLEV on your behalf by submitting a claim form via OLEV’s portal.
- A voucher can only be redeemed by installers who have been authorised by OLEV for the WCS and have approval from a chargepoint manufacturer to install their chargepoint models which are approved by OLEV. They must be authorised before they begin installing charge points. The chargepoint installation must be completed and the voucher claimed within the four month period. Claims against expired vouchers will not be paid.